Thursday, February 2, 2012

Cowboy Quesadillas

I've made these for dinner twice now, and have loved them both times. The boys don't  care for them but I'll keep making them try. :) On a side note, they used to hate Hawaiian Haystacks and would only have rice and cheese on it, no sauce or anything and then cucumbers on a different plate on the side and just this past week when we had them, they ALL were putting EVERYTHING on top of their rice. It was too cool! ;) 

They are definitely a quick meal and super healthy, at least in my opinion. You could also easily leave out the chicken -Linda- and it would still taste great. 

When you first read it, it sounds not too yummy or kinda like a weird combination of things, at least to me, but the first time I tried it, it was like 6 at night and I still had no clue what to make for dinner and happened to have all these ingredients on hand. So glad I tried it.

Here's the link to where I got it - http://www.ourbestbites.com/2010/10/cowboy-quesadillas/

 

Cowboy Quesadillas
Recipe by Our Best Bites
1/2 C white rice - leftover rice (because who would really cook just a little)
1/3 C black beans
1 cup diced cooked chicken
1/3 C fresh frozen corn kernels (no need to thaw)
2/3 C diced tomato
3 Tbs sliced green onion - I've never added this
1 1/2 C shredded cheese (any type or combo you like)
1/4 C bbq sauce
6 small tortillas (fajita size, about 6″) - I used 5 bigger ones

Dipping Sauce
equal parts bbq sauce and ranch dressing - I think I did this the first time and liked it *I think*, but didn't do it this most recent time, so I can't say for sure

Combine rice, beans, chicken, corn, tomato, green onion and shredded cheese.  Add bbq sauce and stir to combine.  Place about 1/3 C of mixture on half of each tortilla and fold over to close.
Heat a skillet to medium heat on the stove top.  When hot, spray lightly with cooking spray, or drizzle with canola or olive oil.  Place quesadillas in pan and cook for 2-4 minutes or until golden brown and slightly crisp.  Flip and repeat on opposite side.  Cool for a few minutes and then serve with BBQ-Ranch dipping sauce.

Enjoy!

2 comments: