Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Lentil and Rice Casserole

I don't even know that I'd call this a casserole, but that's what the recipe is called, so I'll stick with it. But this is an incredibly easy dinner. All my boys liked it. Even Seth. And he didn't even mention missing any meat, which is huge. I like to try and make a couple meals a month that are meatless and this is a perfect one. (Mom and Mandie tasted the leftovers of this at my house months ago and both really liked it too.)

Lentil and Rice Casserole
3 C. chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
3/4 C. lentils, cleaned and picked over
1/2 C. brown or white rice, uncooked
3/4 C. fresh onion (the recipe calls for that much, but I only do like 1/4 cup because it seems insane to put as much onion in as lentils and I worry it would overpower everything and my boys wouldn't like it, but maybe it wouldn't be so bad?? And one time I only had onion powder so I didn't put any fresh onion in.)
1/2 t. basil
1/4 t. oregano
1/4 t. thyme
1/4 t. garlic powder
1/2 C. cheese


1.  Combine all ingredients except cheese in a casserole dish.
2.  Cover and bake in preheated 300 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.
3.  At the last 20-30 minutes of baking, sprinkle cheese all over, bake uncovered.
Serve with any of the following: avocado/guacamole, sour cream, salsa, tortilla chips, cilantro or olives. (I've never put all of those at once, just chosen a few.)

No comments:

Post a Comment