Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie

 Holy cow! I can't believe it's been so long since we posted. I've been having a hard time coming up with dinners lately, so I thought I'd start posting recipes so I can easily look up ones that I've made before and love.

This is the yummiest chicken pot pie I've ever had. And I've tried a lot. Easton even said today that this may be what he chooses for his birthday dinner. Just a warning- this is not a healthy meal. But so worth it. It's pure comfort food!

2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (although today I only used one and used extra potato to make up for it and didn't even miss the extra chicken)
3 cups frozen peas
3 cups frozen corn
3-4 potatoes, cooked and cubed
(add or subtract any veggies you like)
3/4 cups margarine or butter
2/3 cup + 3 Tbls flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
4 cups chicken broth (I just heat up 4 cups water and add in chicken boullion)
1 + 2/3 cup milk

Thaw vegetables. Melt butter in large saute pan. Add in flour and all the seasonings. Slowly add in the chicken broth and milk. Bring to boil then simmer over medium-low heat til it thickens. Add in chicken and vegetables.

Make into pot pies. There's so many ways you can make these. I make individual pot pies in ramekins and top them with phyllo dough. I spread with a little melted butter or margarine to help make it brown on the top. You can use cresent roll dough. You can use regular pie crust to top it. I don't like putting a crust or anything on the bottom just cause those are unnecessary extra calories. But you can totally make it however you want. It's this filling that is delicious! The only baking you'll have to do will depend on your topping as the filling will already be warm. If you're taking it out of the freezer, you can heat up the filling to cut back on the time needed to bake it, or you can just bake it longer if the topping needs to bake a while anyways.

This recipe makes a ton. So I usually have quite a bit leftover to freeze for another meal another day. Super easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment