Saturday, May 19, 2012

Chocolate Chip Scones

toffee chocolate chip scone-recipe

Picture and recipe taken from Creations By Kara.

I love making breakfasts for my boys and when I saw this I knew I had to try it. It's a very easy breakfast to put together and is very delicious. Just make sure to add in some fresh fruit (to your breakfast, not the scones!), so it's not all sugar. ;)

I did not include any toffee because I didn't have any and actually don't really care for the toffee flavor, but I'm sure if you like it, that will only make them tons better.

Toffee Chocolate Chip Scones
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
3 Tbsp sugar
5 Tbsp butter- frozen or very cold
3/4 cup chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
1/2 cup Heath toffee bits
1 cup cream (don't skimp or dough is dry)
Sugar for tops
Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Grate the butter in. (You want it very cold!) Stir in the chocolate chips and toffee bits. Add the cream and stir gently. Knead a few times till dough comes together. It will be crumbly at first, but it will come together. Pat into a 1" thick circle. Cut in wedges and place on a cookie sheet about 1" apart. Brush tops with cream or milk. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 400° for about 15-18 minutes or till light golden brown.

TIPS - I did learn that there is a substitute for cream. Use 3/4 cup milk and 1/3 cup melted butter/margarine. The "recipe" said you should not use skim or 1% milk, but some of the reviews said it turned out okay. So now I'm sure you all have these ingredients on hand and can easily whip these up.

Also grating frozen butter is SUPER easy and cool. So much easier than cutting it with a pastry cutter like other recipes call for.

No comments:

Post a Comment